If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Dog Food for A Yorkie is, then I’d recommend the ROYAL CANIN Nutrition Yorkshire Terrier as the best one.
One of the most popular types of dogs we have in the world is known as Yorkies. This is one breed of dogs that are so adorable. They are small in stature and as such are used as fashion accessories – particularly as purse dogs as they fit into purses.
Together with all these admirable features are their tough dietary needs and fussy appetites. Thus, it is very important that you know your dog’s dietary requirements so you can help them achieve their overall performance and health.
Here is providing you with a guide and information you need to find the best food for Yorkies.
Dry Food Vs. Wet Food for Yorkies
You probably have asked: Dry food or wet food for Yorkies? Which should I choose?
If you are looking for the best dog food, you will discover that they exist in two categories – dry food and wet food. When it comes to Yorkies, the best choice of food is dry food.
One of the basic reasons for this is due to the sensitive nature of their teeth. The Yorkies breed, together with some others is known to easily develop troubles with their dentistry. Dry dog foods are naturally brittle and crunchy, and as such helps to clean the canine of your dogs.
Even though it is possible to supplement with wet food, you won’t have to. But, you can still mix with small portions of wet food occasionally.
What to Avoid in Dog Food?
While there are basic required ingredients for the best dog food for a Yorkie, there are also things to avoid. To start with, avoid by-products of protein and bone meal as much as you can. This is because they contain rancid and cancerous tissues that are not even suitable for human consumption and don’t provide any form of nutrition.
Also, avoid every form of preservatives and artificial flavors, colors, dyes, and other fillers. Dog foods with preservatives such as Ethoxyquin should be avoided like a plague. Harsh grains such as soy, wheat, and corn should also be avoided.
Generally, ingredients that are harmful to humans are likely to be harmful to your dog’s. So check out for ingredients that you don’t like to consume yourself and avoid them for your dog too.
Factors To Consider When Feeding Your Yorkie
Yorkies are known for having small mouths. The implication of this is that their food size or kibble must be such that it accommodates the petite nature of their mouths.
Also, moderately-sized kibble must be well suited for the bad nature of their teeth. It helps to scrape off and preventing the build-up of tartar and its associated disease. As they say, the first key to a healthy body is a healthy mouth.
As small as Yorkies are, they are high energy dogs. They are very playful and as such needs, fuel to keep up their nature. There are food types that are well suited for high-energy and playful dogs. Plus, they face no risk of being overgrown and they risk having weight problems are very low.
That means that they need food with high-fat levels and protein. As their metabolism is very high compared to other dog breeds.
One trait common with small animals is a high metabolism rate. And this should be considered when feeding your Yorkie. This implies that they will have to be fed a little more frequently than other breed or type of dogs.
Another reason for this is that they have a tiny stomach and as such can’t take so much food. As a rule of thumb, they will be required to eat at least four times daily. And sometimes more, depending on size and weight and their activities for a particular day.
Top 5 Best Food For Yorkies Review
- Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Yorkshire Terriers 10 months and older
- Exclusive kibble shape designed specifically for a Yorkshire Terrier’s small muzzle and bite
- Maintains a Yorkie’s glossy, long hair with a combination of omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids, and biotin
- Formulated for healthy aging with specific nutrients to help support long life expectancies
- High palatability with exceptional aromas and flavors to satisfy picky appetites
If you’re looking for a dog food that features a fantastic formula of every nutritional requirement of an adult Yorkie, the Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Yorkshire Terrier Adult Dry Dog Food may just be what you’ve been looking for.
This is one brand that has created a special recipe directed at the needs of Yorkies. It is one of the top options of dog food for Yorkies available on the market. This recipe is designed with a perfect formulation to stimulate any dog’s appetite. Thus suitable for Yorkies and their fussy eating habits.
It features amazing ingredients, with chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, and brewer’s rice as the primary ingredients. This way, you’re sure they provide well-rounded nutrition and diet for the optimal health of your Yorkie.
Also, this dog recipe features high-level protein and well-balanced fat and carbohydrates. This way, the nutritional requirements of your Yorkie is met. Not to forget that it contains Omega 3 fatty acids, which is extra nourishment aimed at caring for and promoting a healthy and shiny coat for your dog.
The kibble size is such that it is easier to be chewed and helps clean the teeth by minimizing tartar and any formation of dental plaque.
|It promotes healthy aging||Dry food not good for those with sensitive stomach|
|It helps maintain proper coat health|
|It suits fussy appetite|
|It is perfect for Yorkies beyond 10 months|
|It comes in a great kibble size and shape|
|It prevents tartar build-up|
- An adult dog food made with highly digestible ingredients that are easy on your small dog's stomach
- Nourishing omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Provides high quality protein to maintain lean muscle in small breed dogs. Calorie content: 3741 kcal/kg (371 kcal/cup)
- Uses an antioxidant blend specifically for lifelong immune support in toy and miniature dogs
- Made with natural ingredients
Clinically, one recipe that has been proven to feature nutrition that can transform your pet’s life is Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food. This recipe is developed by Hill’s nutritionist specialists and veterinarians, and so is not just a tasty, but healthy food choice for your dog.
The Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is equipped with antioxidants, vitamins C and E, all which help to ensure a strong immune system. As is common with the hill science brand, they are prepared with natural ingredients with the absence of preservatives, chicken meal byproducts, and artificial flavors or colors.
This Hill’s science recipe doesn’t fail to feature Omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and shiny coat for your Yorkie. With brown rice as one of its basic ingredients, you can be sure it doesn’t go through heavy processing like the usual rice. It is much more nutritionally rich since it holds on to all the fiber count, minerals, and vitamins. Also, with this fiber-richness, it goes a long way to help your Yorkie deal with constipation.
|It is easy to eat||It may not be recommended for puppies, pregnant or nursing female dog|
|It is a meat-based first ingredient|
|It features added vitamins|
|It promotes a lustrous dog coat|
|It promote healthy digestion|
|It aids healthy weight management|
|Friendly with sensitive stomach|
- This dry puppy food uses DHA from fish oil to support healthy brain and eye development
- Provides your small breed dog with high quality protein for building lean muscle
- Uses a balance of minerals to promote strong bones and healthy teeth
- Uses an antioxidant blend specifically for lifelong immune support in toy and miniature dogs
- Mix up meal time with our convenient, single serve tray Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Savory Stew with Chicken and Vegetables
The Hills Science’s Diet Adult Small & Toy Breed dog food is a perfect gift for your Yorkie no matter the age or weight. This recipe comes in various options. There are those formulated for puppies, those for overweight dogs, and underweight dogs as well. This product is a premium when it comes down to the best food for a Yorky, with its chock full of nutritious ingredients.
With such a nutritious ingredient profile, you can be sure this product provides a balanced, well rounded and complete diet for your Yorkies. This nutritious dry dog food makes use of chicken as its primary source of protein. It also features ingredients such as whole grains, spinach, carrots, rice, and other supplements.
As you’ll discover in the nutrition label, there are no artificial preservatives, flavors or colors and that makes it perfect for the sensitive nature of Yorkies.
With flaxseed as one of its ingredients and a superb source of omega-3 fatty acids, your dog’s skin and coat are kept in a healthy condition.
|It is high-quality ingredients||It usually features a strong smell|
|It is recommended by veterinarians||It is quite expensive|
|It comes with a variety of flavors and sizes|
|It has no artificial dye, preservatives or flavors|
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles. Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- SMALL BREED DOG FOOD: Specially formulated for the wellness of adult small breed dogs, BLUE Life Protection Formula Small Breed dry dog food contains increased levels of protein and carbohydrates
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.Calorie Content: 3,648 Kcals/kg, 397 Kcals/cup
- Contains one (1) 15 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
If you’re like most dog owners who are looking for high-quality dog food perfect for your Yorkie puppy, then this product should work great.
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food features a dry dog food formula with high levels of protein and carbohydrate. And that makes it perfect for your pooch’s nutritional needs and energy as well.
With its combination of real meat, fruits, garden grown vegetables, and whole grains, there’s not a doubt that your dog, like every other Yorkie pups, will love this food. Particularly, if there’s no history with chicken allergy.
This excellent combination is perfect for any growing pup, as it fortifies and gives a boosts their immune system. Also, this food contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which are both essential elements that are helpful in keeping your pup’s skin and coat healthy.
Also contained herein is Life Source Bits which are packed with antioxidants. And is essential for protecting and upholding the health of a puppy, particularly in his/her growing stage. It does not contain any byproducts, wheat, soy or corn.
|It is great for joint health||Sometimes, pups are picky about the life source bits|
|It promotes healthy skin|
|It is budget-friendly|
|It is easy on your dog's stomach|
|It supports and boosts the immune system|
- Small breed dry dog food: Optimal protein levels and calorie content to help support the higher energy needs of small breed dogs
- Enjoy a lifetime of wellbeing: High quality proteins and wholesome grains are expertly balanced to deliver a complete diet packed with the nutrients small breed dogs needs to thrive; No meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Whole body health: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
- Find the right food: Wellness offers a full range of foods to support your dog's specific needs, including grained and grain free options, high protein recipes and limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; we craft delicious natural recipes with wholesome, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
For the perfect choice of the best food for Yorkies, you may want to choose Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Small Breeds. This is one dog food that is completely gluten-free, and rich in high-quality protein.
Its primary ingredients are chicken, turkey, and salmon oil, and as such perfect for the optimal health of your Yorkies. Other ingredients you can expect in this amazing recipe are vegetables and fruits, which offer natural antioxidants that are effective in boosting and improving your dog’s immune system.
It also comes fortified with live probiotics and prebiotics essential for improved digestion. It also features Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids, sourced from the salmon oil, for a Well- treated and healthy skin and coat. Also, this dog food features glucosamine and chondroitin, and so guarantees a healthy function of your dog’s joint function.
|It's free of artificial additives and fillers||It's not ideal for dogs that are picky|
|It promotes joint health||It may lead to frequent dog farts or bad breath|
|It is suitable for dogs with food sensitivities|
|It promotes a healthy coat and skin|
|It improves and boosts the immune system|
|It features optimal calories levels|
|It promotes healthy and clearer eyes|
|It supports coat and skin health|
|It is easy to digest|
Final Words On Best Dog Food for A Yorkie
Yorkies are one breed of dogs that are adorable. They are so full of energy that keeping up with them will need being energetic yourself. With this singular characteristic, it is pertinent that will need quality foods that are commensurate to their features. This is where the best food for Yorkies comes in.
Provided above is a list of well researched and quality dog foods that are indeed suitable for Yorkies. All the products are from well-trusted and popular brands and feature amazing and nutritious ingredients.
But, I will best recommend the ROYAL CANIN Nutrition Yorkshire Terrier. They are dry and prepared from natural ingredients in the absence of preservatives. With ROYAL CANIN Nutrition Yorkshire Terrier, your dog will get to enjoy loads of amazing nutritional benefits such as coat health, strong bones, healthier teeth and more.
Did you like “What’s The Best Dog Food for A Yorkie?”? We would greatly appreciate if you would share this on your favorite social media channel.