If your dog is a Labrador then you must be familiar with a lot of fun and good company. You must also be familiar with the fact that your furry buddy needs good care. Especially when it comes to what it eats.
Different types of dogs come with different needs so you need to know exactly what’s best for your lab. Here’s an article that tells which ones are the best dog foods for labs and what to pay attention to before making a choice.
What Nutrition Does Your Lab Require?
To keep your dog fit and healthy and ensure that it is not at risk of some of the challenges that dogs like this can suffer from, here are some nutritional requirements to keep in mind.
High protein foods are important for the building and maintenance of your lab’s muscles. Strong muscles are what will enable your labs to carry out daily activities like playing and running. As well as go after their prey on a hunt.
Additionally, proteins help your lab to build hormones and cells that are essential to its existence and good health. Protein will protect your lab from infections by enabling it to synthesize antibodies and other cells of the immune system.
To ensure optimal health conditions and perfect growth for your lab, ensure that the proteins you feed it are animal based. This is because animal-based proteins come complete with the essential amino acids your dog needs to grow well.
While these are not nutrients, they are microorganisms that live in the gastrointestinal tract. Generally, they ensure that pathogenic bacteria do not grow in your lab.
By the way, 70 percent of your lab’s immune system cells are in the gut. So ensuring bacterial balance around here can help to ensure that your dog’s immune system is at its best function.
3. Calcium and Phosphorus
These are essential for keeping the bones of your lab strong and in good structure. This will, in turn, ensure that your dog can carry out its normal day to day activities without any fear of fractures or bone weakness.
4. Chondroitin and Glucosamine
Keeping your dog’s joints in their best condition and protecting them from problems like patellar luxation and hip dysplasia are some of the reasons these two nutrients are important.
These nutrients produce the cells found in the cartilage that the ends of adjoining bones consist of. The cells produced also formulate the lubricating synovial fluid found in the joint capsule.
5. DHA and Taurine
These will save your lab from eye problems like retina dysplasia and cataract. Also, to keeping your labs eyes in their best condition, these nutrients will also ensure that the central nervous system is in its best shape.
What Should You Feed Your Lab?
After learning what nutrients should be in your lab’s diet, you should be thinking about what diets to actually feed the dog, so here you go:
Fats are important to enable the energy levels of your lab since they contain very concentrated levels of energy. They are also important to ensure the strength of cells especially the cells of the central nervous system.
But yet, there is a tendency for your dogs to become obese if fed with high fats as they contain molecules packed with high energy. This is usually because of excess unused energy. While it is thus, okay and even important to feed your lab fats, ensure that what you feed it is low fat.
Labs need high protein diets to enable their energy levels and proteins can provide this. If your lab is, however, not very active and doesn’t exercise a lot or carry out energetic physical activities frequently, it is best to feed it proteins in lower quantities. This will help to prevent obesity from stored energy.
As in the case of protein, if your dog is a very active one with enough playing time, you can think of feeding it diets high in calories. If on the other hand, your dog is not very active, ensure to feed it diets low on calories.
This is because, with less activity, fewer calories will be burned. And this could result in diabetes and obesity as unused calories will be converted to glycogen and fatty acids.
Best Dog Food For Labs Reviews
- One (1) 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Weight Management Large Breed Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
- High-quality protein, including chicken as the #1 ingredient
- 15% less fat than Pro Plan Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula for Adult Dogs
- EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, and glucosamine help to support joint health and mobility
- Natural prebiotic fiber, sourced from wheat bran, helps promote digestive health
The perfect treat for your lab, this food is formulated to meet the unique needs of your pet. The puppy formula is created with DHA to enable perfect vision and brain developments. It also includes antioxidants which will help to ensure that the immune system of your dog is well nourished for development. This dog food works perfectly even for dogs with sensitive skin and stomach.
The adult formula is created with nutrients such as linoleic acid and Vitamin A as well as an omega-6 fatty acid to ensure very healthy skin. It is also formulated in different kibble sizes for different dog sizes to ensure that your dog gets what is suitable for it.
Additionally, natural probiotics have been included to support your dog’s digestive health as well as its well-being.
|This comes with the essential ingredients necessary for your dog's well-being and good health.|
|It includes animal based protein, just the right kind for your lab|
|It is formulated to meet the unique needs of your dog's age|
|It comes in a variety of kibble sizes to suit different dog sizes|
|It is designed to work well for dogs with sensitive stomachs|
|It supports digestive health|
- PACKED WITH REAL BEEF: A recipe inspired by the Rocky Mountains, this high protein dog food features a blend of red meat to satisfy your dog's wild side while helping build and maintain lean muscle mass.
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free adult dog food is made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas to help fuel your dog's active lifestyle. Plus, it contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids for skin and coat health.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is formulated for the health and well-being of your dog and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 22-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe High Protein Grain Free, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Red Meat
This one is a unique two-part food formulated with fine natural ingredients. It is formulated with real meat to provide the protein your dog needs for energy and good growth. Fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants are other things you can expect to find in this dog food.
We’ve already mentioned that antioxidants are excellent for your dog’s skin so there you go. It is also made in formulas which are suitable for different dog stages. S whether your dog is a puppy, an adult or a senior, this is a great choice. Dog’s with unique needs are not even left out.
Depending on the size of the dog or its breed or even if it’s a dog whose weight needs to be managed, Blue Buffalo works fine. Here’s another perfect choice for your pet.
|It is formulated with natural ingredients||The salt content might be a little bit too high for some dogs|
|It includes antioxidants to ensure the health of your dog's skin and coat|
|It includes formulas for dogs of different ages|
|Even dogs with unique needs are catered to with this food|
- Dry dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients
- Nourishes dogs according to their biological needs with 38% protein and 20% carbohydrates
- Offers a rich diversity of fresh and raw meats; 85% meat inclusions, 15% veggies & fruits, and 0% grain, tapioca, or plant protein concentrates
- WholePrey ratios of fresh meat, organs, and cartilage or bone supply virtually every nutrient your dog needs
- Biologically Appropriate foods made in the USA in our own kitchen. Our Customer Care team would love to hear from you at 877-939-0006 or email@example.com
You’re going to love this freeze-locked dog food designed especially to ensure that all its natural goodness is retained. Ensuring maximum benefits for your lab, this dog food promises the goodness of a raw diet. Making sure that your dog will get the nutrients in their best, most undiluted form.
Here’s a grain free dog food which includes animal-based protein for your dog’s good growth and energy. It is also formulated with vegetables including essential vitamins and nutrients to maintain your dog’s best shape. Looking for the excellent dog food with lots of natural ingredients? You might have found it.
|It is formulated with natural ingredients||Some people have complained that their dogs suffered diarrhea after feeding them Orijen. This has only been a few people, however.|
|It is freeze-locked to ensure that it does not lose the natural goodness it comes with|
|It includes the very essential animal based protein which your dog so needs for good growth|
| It comes with vegetables containing essential nutrients for your dog |
- A taste of the wild with SMOKED SALMON; REAL SALMON is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, PROTEIN rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients From Trusted, Sustainable Sources Around The World; Made With No Grain, Corn, Wheat, Filler; No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives Added
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with guaranteed species specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
- MADE in the USA; FAMILY OWNED & run; food made with scientifically advanced food safety protocols; We'd appreciate your CALL 800.342.4808
This is created with unique protein sources. And includes vegetables and fruits to provide your dog with vitamins and minerals for optimal health. It is formulated with premium meats like turkey, lamb, quail and duck and your dog’s about to have a really tasty treat. Also, here’s protein from the best sources.
It includes rich supplies of antioxidants so your dog’s skin, coat, and health are well catered to. It also includes species-specific probiotics to support your dog’s digestive health as well as its immune system. T
here’s a perfect blend of proteins to ensure your dog’s optimal health and good development. As well as omega fatty acids in every bite to keep your pet’s skin as shiny as ever.
Taste of the Wild will give your dog the right amounts of omega fatty acids.
Here’s what to expect, marine-sourced omega-3 from salmon oil smoked salmon or ocean fish meal; Omega-6 from plant sources which have been included to balance out the omega-3s.
These omega sources will work together to help maintain your pet’s skin and coat health as well as support wellness.
Also included are chelated minerals to help your dog absorb all the important nutrients. This one comes with the perfect blends for everything your dog requires to live a healthy life.
|It includes the right protein sources for your dog's best development|
|Omega fatty acids will ensure that your dog stays attractive with a shiny skin|
|It supports your lab's digestive health|
|It protects the immune system|
|It is designed to ensure that your dog will absorb all the essential nutrients|
|Antioxidants included will also help to protect your dog's coat and skin|
- Grain Free: 100% Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog
- Protein Focused Nutrition: Naturally Grain Free, Rich With Delicious Premium Proteins Including Turkey And Chicken Combined With Real Vegetables And Essential Vitamins And Minerals
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Corn, Soy, Meat By-Products, Or Artificial Colors, Flavors And Preservatives
- Made In Usa: Backed By The Wellness Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In The Usa
This one includes live active probiotics, prebiotics as well as fiber. This promotes a healthy intestinal tract and supports your dog’s digestive health.
Essential vitamins, minerals and fatty acids like Omega 3 and 6 are included to enhance a shiny coat, healthy cellular activity, and enable disease resistance by boosting the immunity of your dog.
It is also formulated to promote healthy eyes, teeth, and gums. Additionally, there are high levels of protein included to enable lean muscle mass and help your dog burn excess fat and calories.
What’s more? Antioxidants from fruit and veggies are included to support your dog’s health. It also includes high-quality carbohydrates to provide your dog’s daily need for energy.
It’s safe to say this food is wellness in a pack as it comes with about all the essential nutrients your dog needs for its well-being.
|It is formulated to support digestive health||Because of its carbohydrate content, this food may not be a good option for dogs with diabetes|
|It ensures a healthy intestinal tract|
|It will ensure your dog maintains a shiny coat and healthy skin|
|Your dog's daily energy needs are well catered to|
|It enables disease resistance and boosts your dog's immunity|
As far as pets are concerned, finding the best way to provide optimal care is every dog lover’s concern. This is why we have compiled this article to help you the right choices.
If you own a Labrador, above are some of the things you can do to keep your furry companion in the best shape. If you have been looking for the best food choices for your pet, you also have them here.
While it is difficult to pick which one is the best from the above-reviewed products as they all come with so much goodness, our highest recommendation goes to Purina Pro Plan Adult Dry Dog Food. There’s a reason it’s first on our list.
This dog food contains, in the right quantities, the nutrients a lab needs to have a happy and healthy life. But, it is important to note that running food choices by your vet is always a good option.
Did you like “What’s The Best Dog Food For Labs?”? We would greatly appreciate if you share it on your favorite social media channel.