German shepherds are perhaps the most active dogs on the planet (except you also want to consider the Siberian husky). They are huge dogs that are not only reliable but also friendly and loyal. These dogs are brilliant, which is why, during the world war II and the cold war, this dogs served a great purpose, as military and messenger dogs.
But no one can deny the fact that this dog is cute. It so cute, most American usually decides to domesticate the dogs for family convenience. This dog is not just your everyday dog, for several reasons, which we will be looking at presently.
Best Dog Food German Shepherd (Adult Dog)
- 1 Best Dog Food German Shepherd (Adult Dog)
- 2 Little Known Facts About The German Shepherd
- 3 Nutritional Requirements For Your German Shepherd
- 4 Best Food For German Shepherd (Adult)
- 5 What Is The Best Dog Food For A German Shepherd?
- 6 Best Food For German Shepherd Puppy
- 7 Nutritional Requirement Of Your German Shepherd Puppy
- 8 Best Dog Food For German Shepherd Puppy
- 9 A Final Word On Best Food For GSD Puppies
Little Known Facts About The German Shepherd
The first thing you should know about the German shepherd is that they are pack dogs. Before they were militarized and tame, these dogs lived in the wild as packs and could sometimes be mistaken for wolves. These dogs hunted as a pack and migrated as a pack, but we will not be looking at the hierarchy of the pack and all that details as this is not that kind of article.
The German shepherd is a very fast learner, which is why they were first militarized. They are quick to learn new stunts and tricks, and they know how to stick around. They are also very fast, in speed; their size does not impede them in any way. Their legs are so sturdy that they can leap twice as high their height; which is pretty impressive.
The dog also is a good and loyal dog for those who want it as a family pet. It is loving and knows how to behave around children and smaller animals. The only thing you should always remember to do is to feed the dog always, or you might come back home one day and find that your precious hamster or goldfish is gone.
Before we move on to the required nutritional intake, your dog needs to have, one more fun fact about the dog (it may not be so fun after all).
German shepherds shed their fur every once in every 2 weeks, and they can’t stay in warm areas because they are double coated, meaning the dogs have two layers of protective coating on their skin; which is why they will thrive well in cold and freezing areas. So if you’re planning on having this dog, ensure you’re in a freezing environment. Though, those that are bred in a warmer climate places adapt well.
Also this dog gets bored quickly, and by that I mean, they are very active, and they will always need something to do, so I’d ensure that I keep the dog busy, try to play catch with it once in a while, or it might end up playing catch with your smaller pets. Getting it a chew toy really would help to reduce its level of boredom.
Nutritional Requirements For Your German Shepherd
Like every other dog, your German shepherd will need a right amount of nutritious meal to develop and maintain not only an excellent immune system but also healthy and vibrant bones, as well as good eyesight and nose sensitivity. Some of these requirements include
Fat helps to build good fur and skin protection. Fat in the meal for the dog is essential as it helps in expediting the metabolism process as well. It also helps in the provision of energy (and considering the dog we are talking about, it will need a lot of it); however, its energy source is only auxiliary.
Dogs need all the energy they can get, especially at a very young age, where all they do is play so they would require a lot of healthy energy. As we go on to dogs food you can give to your dog, you’ll see what healthy carbohydrates are and why they are so called. These carbohydrates also need to have calcium in them so that the bones and canines (teeth) of the dog are healthy and viable (flexible joints).
This nutritional requirement is a must-have; it is the life of the dog; the presence of it would be the growth of the dog, and absence of it will be the quick death of the dog. Protein is what makes the dog grow, and it is the “fast-growing” supplement of the dog. It is also crucial because, dogs like meat, meat has protein, protein contain amino acids, which not only helps in digestion, it also helps in the regeneration of dead cells.
Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants, and Prebiotics
The reason why all of them are together is that they perform similar functions. The vitamins and minerals are for maintaining a good and healthy immune system. So also is the purpose of the antioxidants. The prebiotics on the other hand, not only helps with keeping a good immune system, but it even tries to balance good and bad bacteria in the body of the dog.
All these nutritional elements must be present in the dogs’ food so that your dog can have a good growth.
Best Food For German Shepherd (Adult)
When you’re selecting the best dog food for GSD, ensure you keep a lookout for dog foods with filler ingredients; these are bad for your dog. Do not get dog foods with filler protein or non-fibered carbohydrates, like wheat or soy or corn.
Some good dog meals include;
- Discontinued size by manufacturer
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED QUAIL; REAL DUCK is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients From Trusted, Sustainable Sources Around The World; Made With No Grain, Corn, Wheat, Filler; No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives Added
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with guaranteed species-specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
Taste of the wild dog food products is always good for dogs because they have all the essential nutrient that the dog needs for development. Since dogs are generally allergic to grained dog foods, this grain free dog food is right for them, as it doesn’t make them allergic, neither does it upset the stomach.
This grain-free product is a product of America, and it is made with the sole purpose of preventing dogs with skin and sensitive stomachs from having the allergies and the sensitive stomachs after eating the food.
It contains more duck and duck meal. It also includes the chicken meal and chicken fat and egg product, but little is said about its mineral content, which means therefore that it is low in mineral, vitamins, or even probiotics.
|It is rich in protein||It is a little costly|
|It contains a good amount of carbohydrate||It has little vitamins and minerals for the dog|
|It is grain-free and good for the dogs’ allergies|
- Contains 1 - 26 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Promotes Healthy Digestion
- Grain Free Formula
- Vitamin and Mineral Fortified
- No Artificial Flavors or Artificial Preservatives.Calorie content:ME = 3,340 kcal/kg; 370 kcal/8 oz cup
For all of you who want a more natural way to feed your dogs, which is cost effective and has limited dietary needs as well as ingredients, then this dog food is what you should be looking out for.
The natural balance diet dry food is one of the most nutritious dry dog food on the planet. It is good to prevent allergies the dog might have (inherently), and it also supplies you with the dietary dog need. The dog food is dry, which mean you would not have to worry about molding and clumping up, which is usually the effects of wet dog foods.
Some of its major ingredients include;
Salmon, menhaden fish meal, sweet potato, potato protein, and the canola oil.
|It contains natural ingredients||It is low on carbohydrate|
|It helps to control some allergies the dogs might have||It is not grain-free|
|It does not clump up or molds|
- Dry dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients
- Nourishes dogs according to their biological needs with 38% protein and 20% carbohydrates
- Offers a rich diversity of fresh and raw meats; 85% meat inclusions, 15% veggies & fruits, and 0% grain, tapioca, or plant protein concentrates
- WholePrey ratios of fresh meat, organs, and cartilage or bone supply virtually every nutrient your dog needs
- Biologically Appropriate foods made in the USA in our own kitchen. Our Customer Care team would love to hear from you at 877-939-0006 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Orijen dog food is yet another dog food that comes in handy for those who probably do not have the budget for high-end dog food but still want the same quality of dog food for their dogs.
This dog food is packed with so many nutrients for your dog. It contains whole product meat and has a good dose of carbohydrate in it for the maintenance of the sugar level, as well as the provision of energy for the dog.
It is grain free, so it definitely is allergic-free, and it also caters to the sensitivity of the dog, which means therefore that this dog food product is giving you a run for your money.
It is also reached in protein, which is very good for your German Shepherd, because it helps them grow fast, and it has the required amount of minerals that your dog needs for the development of a strong immune system
|It is grain-free||It contains more protein not equivalent to the other ingredients|
|Contains a good amount of vitamins and mineral|
|It is dry dog food, which means no molding|
|It is affordable|
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your dog's natural love for meat, this high protein dog food features real chicken to help build and maintain lean muscle mass.
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free adult dog food is made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas to help fuel your adult dog's active lifestyle. Plus, it contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is formulated for the health and well-being of your dog and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 24-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken
Have you ever wondered what the wolf dietary eating plan is like, well neither have I; one thing I do know, however, is that this dog food is made to suit the diet of the “ancestral wolves.” Meaning, that this dog food helps in reducing the sensitivity of the dogs’ stomach and is made in a way that the sensitivity will not be disrupted.
The blue wilderness dog food is a grain free product that caters to the dietary needs of the German Shepherd and also prevent allergies as well as ensure that the sensitive stomach of the dog is not aroused.
|It is grain-free||It contains starch, a non-fibered carbohydrate|
|It contains deboned chicken (which is whole protein)||It also has some protein meals (fillers)|
|It considers the sensitivity of the dog’s stomach|
- Grain Free: 100 percent Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog
- Protein Focused Nutrition: Naturally Grain Free, Rich With Delicious Premium Proteins Including Turkey And Chicken Combined With Real Vegetables And Essential Vitamins And Minerals
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Corn, Soy, Meat By Products, Or Artificial Colors, Flavors And Preservatives
- Made In Usa: Backed By The Wellness Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In The Usa.Calorie Content: This food contains 3,660 kcal/kg or 421 kcal/cup ME (metabolizable energy) on an as fed basis
The wellness core natural grain-free dry dog food is yet another natural dog food dog owner like to buy for obvious reasons. For one, it is healthy and safe for the dog, the idea being that it has naturally low-fat content, and because it is grain-free, you do not have to worry about it upsetting your dogs’ stomach or triggering an allergy in your dog.
The dog food has a high level of protein, and the source of this protein is from white meat, which only increases the growing level of your dog.
One of the great things about this dog food is that it only has natural ingredients, and there is no form of artificial product in this dog food.
|Its contents are mainly natural ingredients||Its level of carbohydrate is low|
|It has a rich amount of protein|
|It is grain free|
What Is The Best Dog Food For A German Shepherd?
German shepherd are the police of dogs, they have very sensitive noses, and are very reliable. They, however, need the right amount of nutrients and supplements to stay that way, which is why you would need to consistently give your dog the right kind of food so that they can stay sharp and healthy.
If you do love your mutt, then you’ll find a way to make them happy and healthy, and the first start is by providing them with good meals.
The Taste of the Wild Grain-Free High Protein Dry Dog Food is one of the best dog meal in the market, and I rate it with a 5-star rating because it provides the dog with all the nutrients that the dog would need to live a healthy and stable life, full of fun.
Best Food For German Shepherd Puppy
Don’t you love it as your puppies are playing around and having so much fun? It could be that way until they grow old, if only you give them the right meals and diets they need for healthy growth. How can you provide your dogs with the required nutritional requirements you may ask?
Simple; go on to Amazon and do that search for yourself, but before you do that it would be prudent to consider some of the following dog food products that we have for you.
Before we go into the dog foods that you can give your dogs, perhaps a little fact about the German Shepherd puppy.
One of the things you can’t miss about a puppy German Shepherd is how cute they are. They are perhaps cutest puppies on the planet (this is my evaluation), and they are so very active. These dogs can play from dawn till dusk, all you have to do is to keep the meals coming, and the play continues.
German Shepherd puppies perhaps shed more furs than even the adult ones so that shinier and brighter ones can come out, which is why you’d need a vacuum close by when you have a puppy German shepherd.
Also because they are puppies, they would have and be more sensitive than their big and grown relatives (adult German shepherds), which is why they have to be given a good doggy balanced meal, which will enable it to develop. You can’t start giving it candies and other treats at a very young age; you’d have to ensure that all its dietary needs are met.
Who said taking care of a dog is easy?
Nutritional Requirement Of Your German Shepherd Puppy
As puppies, you would not want to give your dog meals meant for the adult, just like you wouldn’t give your 3-month old baby meals meant for a 5-year old, get the picture? So what you’ll need to do is to provide the puppy with the meal that contains these ingredients and watch your pups becomes active members of the family.
High levels of protein
The first thing you should always look out for in a dog food label is protein, at the beginning stage (puppy stage), the level of the protein may not matter, provided it is not above 22% and not below 18%. Sources of the protein may include, beef, lamb, chicken, and even fish. It will help the dog develop fast.
Your puppy needs at least 8% of fat in its body to enjoy its benefits. The required source of fat can be from chicken (chicken fat), or canola (canola fat).
Calcium and Phosphorous
The calcium and phosphorous ratio in the dogs’ meals should be commensurate with one another so that it can help develop strong bones in the dogs’ body. It will also ensure that the joints of the dog are flexible yet strong.
Omega 3 and DHA
While the omega-3 acid helps to keep the dogs’ fur and skin coat healthy, the DHA helps in the development of good eyesight and brain stem.
Carbohydrates are essential to the dog. It is its source of energy. The carbohydrate in the food should contain fiber, for easy digestion; thus carbs like peas and sweet potatoes are perfect for the young pup.
Best Dog Food For German Shepherd Puppy
Like we said before, you’ll need to give your dogs the essential nutritional requirement for steady and healthy growth, to prevent complications later, so here are some of the dog food you can find the dietary needs of your pup.
- Large-breed puppy Food provides a protein-rich, nutrient-dense diet to help promote healthy Weight
- Dry dog Food nourishes puppies according to their evolutionary and biological needs
- Offers a rich diversity of fresh and raw quality animal ingredients
- Wholeprey ratios of quality animal ingredients from meat, organs, and cartilage or bone supply virtually every nutrient your puppy needs
- Biologically Appropriate foods Made in the USA in our own kitchen. Our customer care team would love to hear from you at 877-939-0006 or customercare@championpetfoods.Com
The Orijen puppy dog food is one of many dry dog foods that contain the basic nutritional requirement of a puppy, but it also is one of the most preferred customers’ choice for the following reason;
It includes what is known complete proteins; total proteins are meat that is whole and not fillers or by-product of the meat, meaning therefore that they still contain the raw protein nutrients that are good for the young pup.
Another reason would be that it also has the right level of carbs in it that the dog will need to replenish its strength. Traces of vitamins and minerals are also found in the mix, meaning that the immune and digestive system of the dog is catered for.
|It has whole (raw) protein||It is low on carbohydrate|
|It is grain free||It is high in fat|
|It contains minerals for the dogs’ benefit|
- Discontinued size by manufacturer
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON & VENISON; REAL MEAT is #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile & protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- HIGH quality PROTEIN recipe with smaller kibble; tailored for growing puppy; SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; DHA for BRAIN & VISION
- Ingredients From Trusted, Sustainable Sources Around The World; Made With No Grain, Corn, Wheat, Filler; No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives Added
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTABLE with guaranteed soecies-specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS
One of the ways your dog would eat its meal is if it has that kibble fun shape that most puppy dog food comes in. Luckily, this dog food has that exact shape in its dog food, which means that your dog can probably pick it up without any problem.
The dog food contains the right amount of protein for the growth of the dog and calories that would provide the dog with its daily energy, to have a fun-filled day
Not only is this meal easy to swallow and digest, but it also contains fruits and vegetables (which means minerals), and antioxidants that help to keep the immune system sharp and healthy.
It considers the sensitivity of the puppy’s belly, and that is why it is grain free.
|It is grain free||It contains corn fillers|
|Has high levels of protein||It also contains artificial flavors|
|It contains minerals and antioxidants for the development of the immune system|
- GRAIN FREE: 100% grain free, complete and balanced everyday nutrition for your puppy.
- PUPPY FORMULA: Naturally grain free, protein rich, made with premium chicken, turkey & salmon with the calories and DHA needed for healthy development in puppies.
- ALL NATURAL: Contains only premium, all natural ingredients with no wheat, corn, soy, meat by-products, or artificial colors, flavors and preservatives.
- MADE IN USA: Backed by the Wellness Guarantee and proudly made only in the USA..
- Glucosamine protects the joints and increases mobility.When pregnant, feed up to 50% more food according to body weight for 12 months
A way to ensure your dog eats the meal in front of it is to provide that you give it what it enjoys. To ensure that happens is by giving your puppy meals filled with proteins.
The wellness core puppy food is one dog food that contains a moderate level of protein, and since the protein is white and whole meat, surely it will work well in making your pup grow fast, without you knowing it.
The level of carbs in it is just enough to give it that energy it needs to play and have fun for the entire day. For dog owners who love to give their dogs dietary meals, this dog food comes in handy to provide all the essential minerals, vitamins and antioxidants it will need.
|It contains high levels of mineral and vitamins||It is low on carbs|
|It has a moderate amount of protein|
|It is grain-free, which means allergy free|
- Contains One (1) 30.6 Lb. Bag Of Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed Dry Dog Food Chicken
- Veterinarians Recommend Iams, So You Can Feed Like A Pro
- Real, Farm Raised Chicken Is The 1St Ingredient
- Includes 22 Key Nutrients That Are Found In A Mother'S Milk
- Promotes Healthy Cognition With Omega 3 Dha For Smarter, More Trainable Puppies
If you consider buying grained dog food for your pup, then you’re putting yourself in a lot of trouble in the future; what you should do is get good grain-free dog food that will provide your pup with all the nutritional values that it may need.
This dog food is one of the grain-free dog food that you can give your dog, and it will come back with its tray in its mouth asking for more.
This dog food not only contain whole meat proteins; it also includes veggies that are good for your dog. Not just that, but it has fruits in it also provides vitamins for your pup. Likes that’s not enough, the meal contains antioxidants that would help your dogs’ immune system. It merely ensures that the overall health of your dog is catered for.
Finally, the dog food is kibbled shape, just for the fun pleasures of your dog.
|Comes in kibble shape sizes||It is low on calories|
|It is grain-free|
|Contains vitamins and minerals which is good for the pup|
- GRAIN FREE PUPPY FOOD WITH FREEZE DRIED RAW CAGE FREE CHICKEN: Instinct Raw Boost dry dog food combines high protein, grain free kibble with all natural bites of freeze dried raw chicken. Cage free chicken is the #1 ingredient - for energy to grow & play
- PUPPY DOG FOOD PLUS FREEZE DRIED RAW PIECES: Made with calcium & phosphorus for strong teeth and bones plus natural DHA for brain & eye development. Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by product meal, artificial colors or preservatives.
- THE FIRST RAW BOOSTED LARGE BREED PUPPY KIBBLE: Raw Boost mixes natural, high protein, grain free dog food with our freeze dried raw dog food toppers in one bag. Also includes probiotics and omegas. Complete & balanced nutrition for large breed puppies.
- POWER OF RAW INGREDIENTS: Our dog food is made with the pure, real nutrition of raw. Raw is natural, made from real meat & whole food ingredients, protein packed & minimally processed. Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world.
- OUR BEST DOG FOOD FOR PUPPIES BOOSTED WITH RAW: We craft dry & wet dog food from real ingredients. Compare Instinct to Blue Buffalo, Rachel Ray, Hills Science Diet, Purina One, Taste of the Wild, Merrick, Natural Balance, Wellness, Orijen, Royal Canin.
Most dog foods out there are regular dog food, but some puppy dog foods are just for larger puppies, because the regular dog food may not contain the right amount of nutrients that your dog will need.
German shepherds are large dogs, and their puppies are also on the large side, which is why this meal is probably good for you.
This dry dog food is good for the pups because they contain essential elements the dog will need to carry on a healthy life.
Puppies have sensitive stomachs, and because of that, this meal was made to cater to the sensitivity. The dog food is like a superfood that helps the pup to grow up fast, healthy and robust.
Its processing period is minimal, making it as natural as possible and ensuring it retains all the good stuff, that the dog will need. It comes in a kibble shape, making it easy for the dog to have a pick.
|It is grain-free and non-allergic||It has a low amount of carbs|
|It has a minimal processing period|
|It doesn’t trigger the sensitivity of the pups’ sensitive stomach|
A Final Word On Best Food For GSD Puppies
One of the reasons why puppy meals are made with little extra care than the adult dog food is because the sensitivity of the puppy dog is more intense than that of the adult German shepherd. They would also need dog food that would help their growth rate and also boost their immune system.
The Orijen Puppy Large Breed Dry Dog Food is our personal favorite with our 5-star rating because it contains vitamins and minerals protein that the dog would need to grow. It contains calcium and phosphorous that would develop the bones of the puppy, and the antioxidants and the prebiotics in the dog food are good for the development of the immune system.
Did you like “Best Dog Food For German Shepherd In 2018 (FOR PUPPY AND ADULT GSD)”? We would greatly appreciate if you would share this on your favorite social media.