Pitbulls are, perhaps, one of the smartest dogs you can find. They possess amazing characteristics that make it easy for them to be trained, eager to please, become great partners, and sometimes difficult to handle.
Whether it is the American Pitbull Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier, or cute Pit mixes, you must pay great attention to bring out the best in them.
You must understand their traits and this includes what to feed them. If you’re in doubt about what is the best dog food for Pitbulls, you have stumbled on the right page. Here, you’ll find out the best dog food for Pitbulls.
Top 5 Best Food for Pitbulls
Benefits Of Using The Right Dog Food
Knowing what, when and how to feed your Pitbull is a crucial part of its growth and wellbeing. Your pet deserves a proper diet as much as you do.
Therefore, find out what is right for them and feed them appropriately with the right amounts too. According to Petcarerx.com, foods with high protein and low grain are great for your Pitbull.
Also, ensure that meat is the major ingredient, not corn, potatoes or wheat. Pitbulls are large, high-energy dogs and you can never go wrong with protein for those. Other ingredients like corn, potatoes, and wheat may contain allergens that many says could be bad for your dog.
However, these ingredients can be very good for your dog too. It all depends on the nutritional needs of your pet. Be sure to observe what works for your pitbull. When in doubt, check with your vet.
Note also that the best-tasting foods are not always the most nutritional. As Dr. Sherry Weaver puts it, foods with “tasty bits” are usually meant to satisfy emotions rather than the nutritional needs of your dog. You want your pitbull all lively and playful, don’t you?
Feeding them right is the best way to ensure that they’re healthy, strong and growing as much as they should. But what are the other benefits of using the right dog food?
Promotes Good Health: A major part of ensuring your dog is healthy is to feed it right. There are lots of dog food products on the market, but not all of them are good for your pet.
Some do not support proper growth while others may cause health issues like diarrhea, bloating or even obesity, all of which are fatal health conditions. Understand your dog’s diet preferences. Know what your pet is allergic to, and always consult your vet.
Proper Growth: It is also common to find dogs not growing to their full size and weight. If you own a fighter dog like a pit bull, this should be a great concern for you because you want your dog to have the right stamina and stand its ground when it needs to.
While there are vitamins to look out to aid bone health and strength, proteins also promote dog growth.
Preventing Allergies: Whether you know it or not, dogs have allergies and only an attentive dog owner can discover them. Ensure you find out what your dog’s allergies are and avoid them. Some allergies can have very harmful effects on your pet.
If you want details of how to feed your pit bull, can watch the video below;
How To Choose The Best Dog Food For Your Pitbull
Look out for Proteins: Proteins are known to be, perhaps, the most important food for dogs. Meat, especially, is a dog’s natural favorite. Therefore, whatever dog food you choose should have the right amount of protein, especially animal protein.
This aids growth and gives them the natural healthiness they require. Also, a healthy proteinous diet can help prevent obesity which leads to hip and elbow dysplasia in pit bulls.
Choose Dry Dog food: Many people believe dry dog food is generally healthier than wet dog food. The reason is simple: wet dog food has a tendency to contain more fat and calories which should be controlled. As you may have observed, all the products I reviewed here are dry dog foods and they tend to be preferred to wet foods.
Prioritize Nutritional Needs: This tip was given by Dr. Sherry Weaver. According to her, it is better to pick a nutritional meal over a great-tasting meal. The most important thing for your dog is to grow healthy as many tasty dog foods may not necessarily be healthy.
However, I believe that your dog may not even get the chance to enjoy all of that nutrition if the food is not tasty. Thankfully, all the products I reviewed here are both healthy and tasty.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I add water to dry dog food?
Answer: Absolutely. It is true that some dogs don’t fancy crunchy foods and may want them soft. For most of the dog foods reviewed here, you can add water when you serve.
2. What about the Salmonella Issue from 2012?
Answer: Well, it does appear the issue has been resolved. There are hardly any recent complaints from users of some products that contain salmonella.
3. Are these grain-free dog food?
Answer: While many of the products are grain free, others like Nutro Wholesome contains some rice, but it is not the major component.
Best Dog Food for Pitbulls Reviews
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; made with NO GRAIN, corn, wheat, filler; no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with guaranteed species-specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
- MADE in the USA; FAMILY OWNED & run; food made with the most scientifically advanced food safety protocols; We'd appreciate your CALL 800.342.4808
This roasted meat formula has received several raving reviews among dog owners and vets for the right reasons. It has a combo of sweet potatoes and peas to aid digestion and keep your dogs happy and strong.
But it’s not just about the nutritional value. All of it will go to waste if your pit bull hates the taste. That is why this dog food is also very tasty.
What’s more? It offers the recommended dry formula and contains natural antioxidants. It is grain free so you don’t have to worry about some of those allergens affecting your dog.
It is called Taste of the Wild for a reason too. The roast meat flavor combines with natural ingredients to give that amazing feeling.
The roasted formula with buffalo and lamb is packaged to satisfy finicky pets. It contains vegetables and fruits, as well as lamb, bison, and venison for added nutritional value.
It is great for dogs of all ages and sizes. Depending on the weight of your dog, cup servings per day should do.
|It is a dry dog food with meat as its major ingredient||It is not the cheapest on the market, which is a factor in its richness|
|It is grain free which reduces the risk of allergens|
|Contains vegetables and fruits for a healthy diet|
|It is also proteinous and contains superfoods and natural antioxidants|
|It has a great taste so your pitbull keeps coming back for more|
- Best Natural Dog Food Or Topper - Contains 1 Pack Of 17.6Oz Lamb Freeze Dried Dog Food Or Topper. Supports Healthy Skin, Coat Condition & Boost The Nutritional Value Of Your Dog’S Food In Seconds. Ensure Your Dog Gets All The Nutrients They Need To Be In Top Condition By Simply Adding Dog Food Topper To Their Diet.
- Perfectly Safe For Your Dog – No Fillers Or Gelling Agents, Just All Natural New Zealand Lamb. This Grain Free Dog Food Is; Filler Free, Gmo Free, Animal Meal Free, Artificial Preservative Free, Artificial Flavor Free And Artificial Color Free.
- 100% New Zealand Grass Fed Lamb – Get The Best Grass-Fed New Zealand Lamb For Your Dog From Ethical And Sustainable Sources With A Traceable Supply Chain. New Zealand Has A First-Class Reputation For Producing The Healthiest Farmed Animals In The World.
- Raw Freeze Dried & Easy To Use- Comes In A Resealable Pack. Simply Mix The Gently Freeze-Dried Raw Grass-Fed Lamb Into Your Dog’S Dry Kibble Or Wet Canned Dog Food. Test The Best Serve Size For Your Dog Type And Size. Store In Your Pantry After Opening.
- Palatability Guarantee – K9 Natural Is Made Fresh To Satisfy Even The Most Picky Eaters. If Your Dog Doesn’T Love K9 Natural, We’Ll Refund Your Purchase, No Questions Asked. It’S That Good. Add To Cart Now.
The primary ingredient of K9 Dog food is lamb. 90% of the product is made up of lamb organs and ground bones, and these lambs are grass fed. This formula is not just nutritious and healthy, but it is delicious too.
Natural green lipped mussels are added for added nutritional value. The product is endorsed by several veterinarians and passed several health checks in New Zealand such as the AAFCO requirement and the BPA test. It can be used as a dog food on its own or as a dog food topper on any dog because of its safe and natural ingredients.
This product also contains no fillers and even the lamb used for it are carefully selected to be only those fed with natural food like grass. Extra care is given to ensure that your dog gets the right and healthy nutritional support it needs.
|Contains no GMO, artificial preservatives or flavor||Depending on your dog weight and diet, it may not serve as a standalone meal|
|Only grass-fed lambs are used in the product|
|Nutritious and great for healthy skin|
|It is also quite affordable|
|It comes with a full refund palatability guarantee|
|The easy open pack means it is ready to use|
- 2 Bags of Orijen Original Dry Dog Food, 4.5 Pounds Per Bag
- Crafted from real, whole foods to mimic what wolves eat in the wild, with no grain, potato, tapioca, or plant protein concentrates
- Nutrientdense WholePrey ratios of fresh meat, organs, cartilage and bones plus whole fish and whole eggs provide a natural source of virtually every nutrient your dog needs
- Infusions of freeze dried chicken and turkey liver enhance flavour naturally, making ORIJEN deliciously tasty for the fussiest of dogs
- With 38 percent richly nourishing protein and a limited 19 percent carbohydrates, ORIJEN nourishes dogs of all breeds and life stages according to their evolutionary and biological needs
At 4.5 lb, this dog food pack will serve for a while before a replacement is required. The makers claim they know the way to your dog’s heart. Well, I guess it’s not possible to know for sure until you try it.
Orijen is made in the United States and is acclaimed one of the world’s award-winning dog food. Again, that’s just a claim. But there are certain factors that make this product a worthy inclusion in this lost of top 5 dog food for pit bulls. It is a grain-free formula and is rich in multiple sources of protein.
A combination of deboned chicken and turkey, locally sourced meats, as well as the yellowtail flounder, mackerel, vegetables and fruits, and other healthy ingredients make Orijen a top choice among dog owners.
|No chance of allergens with 0% grains, plant proteins or potatoes|
|It is extremely safe that even a human can eat it (lol)|
|It is very affordable|
|It is rich in protein|
- Grain free: 100 percent grain free, complete and balanced everyday nutrition for your dog
- Protein focused nutrition: Naturally grain free, rich with delicious premium proteins including whitefish, herring and salmon combined with essential vitamins and minerals
- All natural: Contains only premium, all natural ingredients with no wheat, corn, soy, meat by products, or artificial colors, flavors and preservatives
- Made in USA: Backed by the wellness guarantee and proudly made only in the USA
If your dog does well with fish and salmon, this might just be a great alternative. Wellness Core provides a variety of dog foods for different kinds and ages and I have picked this one because it is a good option for those who are also thrilled with some fish added to the meat.
With live probiotics and prebiotics, you can be sure of your pet’s intestinal and digestive health. How do you readily tell your dog is eating well? Simple! Check the eyes, skin, gums, and teeth. These are well protected with Wellness Core.
Omega 3 and 6 are also added through minerals and fatty acids that help to boost your pitbull’s immune system to fight against diseases. Natural fruits and veggies provide great antioxidants for protecting your pet from other infections.
|Contains live probiotics and prebiotics for overall gut health||Not the cheapest Dog food on the Essentials|
|It is a grain free product|
|It is also all natural with antioxidants and omega fatty acids|
|Contains quality meat-based proteins|
|Great for adult dogs|
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. bag of NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS Natural Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food Lamb & Rice Recipe
- Natural Dog Food Plus Vitamins, Minerals and Other Nutrients
- Lamb is the first ingredient for high-quality protein in every bite
- NUTRO Food for Large Breed Dogs is made with natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin and is formulated to support healthy joints
- Crafted with essential antioxidants, such as vitamin E, for a healthy immune system
This lamb and rice combo at 30 lbs is another great product worth mentioning. It is one in a range of varieties produced by Nutro. Although it contains rice and meat and other, proteins are the number one ingredient.
It is based in the United States as well as Nutro says it gets all its ingredients from trusted farmers and produce in a US-based facility. It is also great for puppies, growing dogs and adult dogs like pit bulls. It doesn’t contain chicken, artificial flavors or preservatives and is packed with at least 12 different superfoods.
Glucosamine and chondroitin are two high nutrients contained in this product. They combine with other ingredients and vitamins to help your dog grow strong bones and achieve overall health and vitality. Feeding is done based on your dog’s weight and feeding habit. See your veterinarian when in doubt.
|Made with adult large breed pasture-fed lamb||Might contain trace amounts of genetically modified material|
|Contains the right amount of proteins||Not the cheapest dog food on the market|
|Also contains glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints|
|Made with essential antioxidants for a healthy immune system|
Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food takes the day for obvious reasons. It ticks most of the boxes for “how to choose a dog food” and contains the rich goodness of what your dog needs to grow healthy.
Besides, we are talking about pit bulls and they all need a taste of the wild so they don’t forget that bit of aggressiveness when they need to be. This does not mean that you won’t get what you want in the other products.
In fact, all the products reviewed here have been carefully selected based on high criteria and any of them should suit your dog’s nutritional needs. Hope you have found the guide useful. Updates will be published as they surface.
Did you like “What’s The Best Dog Food For Pitbulls?”? We would greatly appreciate if you share it on your favorite social media channel.