If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Senior Dog Food is, then I’d recommend the Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food as the best one.
Dogs come in various sizes, ages, and breeds. These differences also mean that their needs vary. And that it requires different levels and kinds of care to keep your pet happy.
When it comes to what your dog eats, we know you want only the best. Now, if you own a dog in its senior years and are looking for the best dog food for senior dogs, this article is for you. We are going to tell you how to take care of your senior dog and what best to feed it.
When Is Your Dog Considered A Senior?
Before we go on to talking about what exactly your senior dog needs, it is important to know what time of their lives exactly, your dog qualifies to be called a senior.
There is no generally agreed time when a dog is considered a senior. It varies from breed to breed and size is also an important factor to pay attention to. Large breed dogs which grow to giant sizes are generally considered seniors by the time they are 5 or 6 as they have a shorter life expectancy. But, small breed dogs which tend to live longer are considered seniors by about the time they’re 8 or 9.
Apart from years, there are certain behaviors or signs which when you notice in your dog, might be good enough reason to begin considering it a senior. Some of those signs are:
- Weight gain or loss
- Vision problems
- Bad breath
- Lumps and any other skin issues
- Dental issues
When you begin to notice these signs in your dog, taking it to a vet to verify might be a good option.
Nutritional Requirements For Your Senior Dog
Not all dogs will need a change in nutrition as they get older. But, some changes in nutrition may be a better option for your senior dog. These could also depend on factors such as their health or their level of activities. Here are some adjustments to consider:
Feeding your dog more protein will be more beneficial as it ages. Unlike, in younger dogs, senior dogs use up protein more quickly. Diets richer in protein will thus help with the supply of more amino acids. Which will, in turn, enhance muscle mass.
Here, it is the best option to consult your vet before deciding whether to increase fiber in your dog’s diet. Diets higher in fiber can be of great help if your dog is dealing with constipation. But, less fiber may also allow for better absorption of nutrients.
The quantity of fat you feed your dog at this age will depend on whether your dog is losing weight or struggling with obesity. If your dog is losing a lot of weight and getting thinner, it may be a good option to increase the fat quantity in its diet. If on the other hand, your dog is struggling with too much weight, cutting down on the fat should be a healthy option.
This too depends on whether your dog needs to lose weight or gain some. If your dog needs to lose weight then lower calories are the way to go. If on the other hand, your dog needs to put on weight, you could consider increasing the calories in your dog’s diet.
Note, however, that dogs tend to be less active as they age. This means that feeding your senior dog fewer calories is typically a better option unless otherwise recommended by your vet.
Generally, there are no specific amounts for nutrients which should be present in your senior dog’s food. Your vet is in the best place to make recommendations.
Other nutrients which could be beneficial to your dog are:
- Omega-3 fatty acids can help to reduce inflammation and normalize the responsiveness to insulin.
- Antioxidants which will help to eradicate free radicals, fight diseases and largely ward off the effects of aging.
Tips To Remember In Taking Care Of Your Senior Dog
Here are a few things to keep in mind in caring for your senior dog:
1. Deal with dental issues which may be the case if you ever notice your dog is having a harder time chewing its food. This will improve the quality of your dog’s life especially as it gets older.
2. Give your dog a joint supplement because as it gets older, it will likely start to experience joint problems. Ensure that the supplement includes Methyl-Sulphonyl-Methane (MSM), Chondroitin and glucosamine. They are major ingredients necessary for promoting healthy joints.
3. Watching the scale is also essential to ensure that your dog maintains a good weight. Cutting down on the fat and calories, as noted before, may be a good option if your dog’s weight is a little on the high side and vice-versa.
4. You might also want to choose healthier treats such as fruits and vegetables instead of those canned treats that may be too packed with calories.
5. Pay attention to your dog’s food bowl and ensure that it is clean enough. You might want to raise the bowl to a higher platform to make it easier for your senior dog to eat without bending a lot especially if your dog has joint problems.
Reviews Of The Five Best Senior Dog Foods
- Supports an older little dog's joints and mobility using omega-3s from fish oil
- Provides your small-breed dog with balanced minerals that support heart, kidney and bladder health
- Maintain your senior dog's healthy skin and shiny coat with nourishing omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E
- Our special antioxidant blend supports your mature dog's immune system
- Made with natural ingredients
This food formulated to meet the needs of your senior dog is done completely with the nutrients your dog needs to live a healthy adult life. This food is formulated with antioxidants to enable your dog to resist diseases as well as defy the effects of aging. It also includes vitamins C and E to support a healthy immune system.
Additionally, there’s an exclusive blend of Omega-6 fatty acids to support your dog’s health and activity levels. If your dog has a smaller mouth, this food is a perfect choice as it is made with smaller sized kibbles to enable easy handling.
This food is formulated with natural ingredients. And includes no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. What more can your adult dog want? Easy to chew and formulated with the ingredients your dog needs for vitality. Here’s a healthy and tasty option for your dog.
|This food is easy to chew even if your dog has a smaller mouth||It is designed for dogs 11 years or older and weighing less than 25 pounds. If your dog does not fall in this range, this might not be your best option|
|It enables disease resistance and provides anti-aging effects|
|It supports a healthy immune system|
- Complete Health: Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Senior Small Breed Dog
- Small Breed Senior Formula: Smaller Kibble Size Made With Delicious Deboned Turkey And Added Glucosamine And Chondroitin For Healthy Hips And Joints
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Corn, Soy, Meat By-Products, Artificial Flavors, Colors Or Preservatives
- Made In Usa: Backed By The Wellness Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In The Usa
This one is formulated with a blend of protein, vitamins, and minerals to ensure the good health of your dog. It is designed to enhance your dog’s health and vitality. Including enabling a healthy skin and coat for a good appearance.
It is also created with small sized kibbles to enable easy handling if your dog has a small mouth. Also, this dog food helps to maintain your dog’s weight with the right quantities of calories, not too much.
It also includes controlled levels of sodium to support the health of your dog’s heart. As well as chondroitin and glucosamine to support hip and joint health. Made easy to digest and to support digestive health. This food is also formulated with natural ingredients. And doesn’t include any artificial colors, preservatives or flavors.
|It supports digestive health||Some dogs may find it a bit too dry and hard|
|It supports the health of your dog's heart||Some people have complained that it gives their dogs gas|
|It is easy to chew with its smaller sized kibbles|
|It is formulated to support hip and joint health|
|It will help your dog maintain a healthy weight|
|It supports a shiny skin and coat|
- Dry dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients
- Nourishes dogs according to their biological needs with 38% protein and 20% carbohydrates
- Offers a rich diversity of fresh and raw meats; 85% meat inclusions, 15% veggies & fruits, and 0% grain, tapioca, or plant protein concentrates
- WholePrey ratios of fresh meat, organs, and cartilage or bone supply virtually every nutrient your dog needs
- Biologically Appropriate foods made in the USA in our own kitchen. Our Customer Care team would love to hear from you at 877-939-0006 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is a grain free adult dog food formulated with the essential ingredients to keep your dog healthy and happy. A protein-rich meal which also includes lots of veggies. This food will ensure that your dog stays healthy and energetic to live a happy active life even at its old age.
It will additionally help your dog have better and shinier skin. Here’s a natural and delicious meal which could make an excellent treat for your senior dog.
|This food will help enhance the energy levels of your dog|
|It will improve your dog's skin and make sure it stays shiny|
|It is made of natural ingredients|
- A taste of the wild with SMOKED SALMON; REAL SALMON is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, PROTEIN rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients From Trusted, Sustainable Sources Around The World; Made With No Grain, Corn, Wheat, Filler; No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives Added
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with guaranteed species specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
- MADE in the USA; FAMILY OWNED & run; food made with scientifically advanced food safety protocols; We'd appreciate your CALL 800.342.4808
Formulated with a unique protein blend for enough amino acids. This food is a grain-free formula which comes with species-specific probiotics to support your dog’s immune system and enhance digestive health.
It also includes antioxidants to protect the health of your dog. As well as omega fatty acids in the right doses to help your dog maintain healthy skin and a shiny coat. For even more nourishment, this dog food contains lots of fruits and vegetables which will support your dog’s energy levels.
Also, there are fiber-rich carbohydrates and easily digestible proteins to ensure that your dog stays energized. In addition, this food is formulated with chelated minerals which will help to ensure that your dog can appropriately absorb essential nutrients.
This food is created to support your dog’s health and wellness and enable it to live a happy senior life.
|It is formulated to support the strength of your dog's immune system||Its carbohydrate content means that it may not be safe for diabetic dogs|
|It will support the digestive health of your dog|
|It will ensure that your dog maintains a shiny coat and healthy skin|
|It will help to boost your dog's energy levels|
|It enables easy absorption|
- Grain Free: 100% Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog
- Protein Focused Nutrition: Naturally Grain Free, Rich With Delicious Premium Proteins Including Turkey And Chicken Combined With Real Vegetables And Essential Vitamins And Minerals
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Corn, Soy, Meat By-Products, Or Artificial Colors, Flavors And Preservatives
- Made In Usa: Backed By The Wellness Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In The Usa
This is another grain free, natural dog food formulated with all the necessary ingredients for your dog’s well-being. It includes live active probiotics as well as prebiotics and fiber to support your dog’s digestive health. These will also help to promote a healthy intestinal tract for your dog.
This food offers omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in every bite. As well as other vitamins and minerals which will help to ensure disease resistance, healthy and shiny skin and coat, healthy cellular activity as well as help to boost your dog’s immunity. This also includes nutrients to help promote the health of your dog’s teeth, gum, and eyes.
It also comes with high levels of protein to enable a lean muscle mass. What’s more? It will help to burn excess fat and calories thereby enabling your dog to maintain a healthy weight.
Antioxidants from included fruits and veggies will support health. While high-quality carbohydrates boost your dog’s energy levels.
|It will help to boost your dog's energy levels||The carbohydrate content means that it may not be a good option for dogs with diabetes|
|It supports digestive health|
|It provides immune system support|
|It will help your dog maintain a healthy weight|
|It enables disease resistance|
|It helps to maintain healthy skin and coat|
Final Words On Best Dog Food For Older Dogs
As your dog grows older, it needs more conscious care because it will undergo many changes. This makes it very essential to pay attention to what your dog eats as a larger percentage of its well-being depends on its diet.
We trust that this article has shown you the right way to care for your senior dog as well as the best foods you can feed it.
From our list of reviewed products above, our highest recommendation goes to Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food. It includes all the essential nutrients your dog needs for healthy adult life.
Did you like “Best Senior Dog Food”? We would greatly appreciate if you share it on your favorite social media channel.